Monday, October 25, 2010

Dead On Arrival: Don't need tablet's limited size and software for $600

This toy is neat, but for $600
I wouldn't called it a "must have."

“Dead on arrival.” Steve Jobs' dramatic exclamation may be true for a neat product for which there is high cost and little need.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab, although super neat, has two major disadvantages:

1. Seven Inch Screen Size
How are they going to compel the American wildlife of tech users to shell out another $600? Because now I have an even smaller, less capable stopgap between what my phone and laptop already do? Seven inches of screen real estate means that any typing is still going to be thumb based, as on a cell phone. Any finger pushing or pulling as on a web browser will be like a cell phone.

2. Non-Ideal Software
It uses Google's Android system developed for mobile phones, but even Google says this system wasn't designed for tablets. It will be like a big phone that can't call anyone. What makes the iPad/iPhone/iPod products so effective is that they managed to convince the vast array of app designers to make a vast array of well illustrated, finger-friendly apps. Will the Galaxy Tab go this way, or will it be like my Windows Mobile phone: promising to balloon in an exclusive app marketplace but instead flopping on the ground? Two of Samsung's partners in this endeavor, Blockbuster and VCast, have for me always been poorly made expensive substitutes to other products out there. Please change my mind.

And why is it more expensive than an iPad? I cannot be convinced to pay more money to take a risk on what could be less. That's one teacher's opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, well, I have one, it CAN make calls either through the speakerphone or headset, the 7" screen is fantatic, great for high definition movies and games and has superiour portability (it fits in most of my pockets). The Marketplace is fantastic and yes while not ALL apps are compatible with the larger screen Google Marketplace has a refund policy unlike the Apple App store. The Multitasking is fantastic, while I'm waiting for a game or webpage to load, I can switch to my email, ebook or calendar with a few simple taps. Expandable memory means I can swap out what I need in seconds without having to go through the iTunes all the time. The Media Scanner automatically detects al media in all subfolders on my device so I can just drag and drop anything I need from my Laptop to the device without using any software other than Windows Explorer.
    In regards to the price I got it free on a 10gb Data plan which cost's me $60AU a month, and while it may be a bit pricy for some it's ideal for people who cannot have or do not want a fixed ADSL connection (it wasn't that long ago I was paying $70 a month for 12GB on ADSL2). It tethers easily so I can use the data plan on my Laptop and it can also act as a Wi-Fi hotspot so I can connect up to 5 other devices like my PS3, Wii, Laptop or TV. It also has Allshare which allows me to connect to my Sister's Samsung TV and stream content straight to it in HD. Yes iPad serves a purpose, so does the Galaxy Tab, having used both, I feel the Tab serves my needs better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, eajonno. Very opinionated, but well written and with good details. Now I'd like to give the Tab a second look!

    ReplyDelete